Anything related to Autumn 2010
tucco
Senior Forecaster
Altitude: 360m
Weather Station: VP2

Re: Early air frosts

Post by tucco » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:50 pm

RumZ wrote:Tucco:

Hi, - Yes the area at Bampton/Bampton Grange/Bomby and Burnbanks is probably quite interesting, It always seems to hold onto the frosts/evidence of cold weather (Ice/Snow) longer than some of the other areas, and I have friends there in the village who have verbally told me that they thinks its colder than other places nearby, but I dont have any data of my own this far north of Shap.

If you look at other nearby AWS or Meto stations though, especially those that from this jan-feb I think that on days with really deep inversions and cold temperatures it seems that it takes a long time for the cold temps to 'drain out' of the Valley created by the Lowther, and therefore it seems more common for bampton and areas downstream to have more significant Icedays than places like shap further up stream, hence it holds onto evidence of cold days better. But I'm not sure that it is more significant in the actual degree of lowering? I've had sensors in the past at points along the lowther valley between the top of wet sleddale, beneath the reservoir, and then further along the river at Keld and up from Rosgill. THe degree of lowering didnt seem to change that much going further downstream once it has hit a minimum.

What would be interesting, but I've not explored it yet - would be to see what effect cold air drainage from the haweswater/mardale valley would have, and if this confluence with air from the lowther valley at bampton produces anything interesting. I was planning to do the same experiments -with remote sensors again this year, but choose some different spots, so I'll try to find somewhere in bampton that is appropriate. I'll let you know if your suspisions are right - my main goal is to try and identify the specific spot - capable of the coldest temperatures in the area.

I'm Looking forward to the low temps now, that first frost cannot be far away, and I want to beat my records! -12.5C in the Village at Shap and -17.3C in one of the frost hollows last year. - I;ll be surprised if we get that low again, I think last year was quite *lucky*
Yes last year was an expection in certain ways. One thing lacking for really low temps in the area was fresh deep snow powder snow then clear skies. Much of snow was fairly old therefore lost a lot of its insulation properties by early Jan.

Here's hoping for a least one decent cold snowy spell this winter.

Paul C
Professor
Altitude: 117m
Weather Station: Davis VP2

Post by Paul C » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:16 pm

RumZ wrote:IMHO - I would imagine that the Viasala Road station on Shap fell Summit was somewhere near to 1C (but uinfortunately the data is not accessible) and that either mosedale or wasdale (my remote sensors from last year) were probably at or around 0C and probably the closest to an air frost in the Shap Fells region (other than GDF).
I will see if I can find the info - standby !"

Paul C
Professor
Altitude: 117m

Post by Paul C » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:30 pm

I have checked the data for M6 Shap summit - appears to fall to about +2.1c, at its lowest constant WNW wind at 12knots
Lowest I have found is
A593 at Torver +0.2c 26th
A66 Embleton +0.8c 25th

A6 at Shap is listed but I cant access the archive data.

RumZ
Junior Forecaster
Altitude: 255

Post by RumZ » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:08 am

Hi Paul,

:) thanks for finding that information! - how do you get access to those road network data - I asked a guy on ukweatherworld a few months back and he got me some data from the viasala stations as he works for the company, but otherwise he said it was not generally released?

Apparently according to him, the coldest spot in that area on their network is actually their tebay station.

the 2.1C on the M6 fits in well with the reading at shap village - It would be good to find the A6 summit data - I'll PM the guy who got me the data last time.

Mike

Return to “Autumn Discussion 2010”